David B. Jonelis, (Member) is a skilled and zealous litigator who helps plaintiffs and defendants in the entertainment industry successfully navigate their disputes at all stages of civil litigation and alternative dispute resolution, including at trial, in arbitration, and on appeal.
A firm believer in the notion that avoidance of litigation can often be the most effective path to resolution, David has established a reputation for obtaining favorable results for his clients without even having to file a lawsuit.
When litigation is inevitable, however, David has passionately guided his clients to victory in numerous high stakes lawsuits involving complex issues of intellectual property, breach of contract, corporate governance, defamation, and labor law.
In addition to his litigation practice, David is also an Adjunct Professor at Loyola Law School, where he teaches Entertainment Law Advocacy and coaches the Entertainment Moot Court team.
David has been named as a "Rising Star" by Southern California Super Lawyers for six years straight.
* Served as lead counsel in a copyright and trademark lawsuit concerning the rights to the name and image of "Grumpy Cat", obtaining a $710,000 trial verdict for his client (plus recovery of attorneys' fees), the first ever verdict rendered in favor of a viral meme, while also defeating the defendants' $13 million counterclaims.
* As lead counsel, successfully represented the executive producer of a network television show in a claim for substantial unpaid royalties, ultimately recovering hundreds of thousands of dollars for the producer.
* As lead counsel, successfully defended a renowned advertising spokesperson in a commission dispute with his former manager, resulting in the dismissal of all claims against the spokesperson and a finding that the manager had acted as an unlicensed talent agent.
* Successfully defended a reality television personality in a dispute with her former manager, serving as lead counsel in both trial court and appellate proceedings, and ultimately obtaining a complete defense victory.
* Secured a substantial monetary settlement for an up-and- coming writer whose idea for a motion picture was misappropriated by a major production company.
* Successfully resolved a partnership dispute between the members of a well-known rock band.
* As lead counsel, successfully defended a talent agency and its principal against numerous claims alleging violations of the Talent Agencies Act, obtaining a dismissal of all claims after a hearing before the California Labor Commissioner.
* As lead counsel, successfully represented two motion picture producers in an arbitration against their former financier, obtaining a very favorable settlement for the producers immediately after taking the deposition of the financier.
* Successfully defended a well-known Los Angeles restaurant against breach of contract allegations, obtaining the dismissal of all claims.
* As lead counsel, obtained prompt dismissal of claims alleged against an entertainment industry insurance broker.
* Successfully defended a law firm in both trial court and appellate proceedings against allegations that the firm should be disqualified.
* As lead counsel, successfully defended a production company against numerous alleged violations of the SAG collective bargaining agreement, obtaining a complete victory against SAG-AFTRA after an arbitration hearing.
* Successfully represented a limited liability company and two of its members in a corporate governance dispute against the third member, obtaining a complete victory for the company and a $365,000 judgment against the third member.
* Successfully represented a major recording artist against false and defamatory claims of alleged misconduct, resulting in a complete exoneration of the artist and a retraction of the defamatory statements.Education/Background: University of California at Los Angeles (B.A., 2002); Loyola Law School Los Angeles (J.D., cum laude, 2009).
Memberships: Beverly Hills and American Bar Associations; State Bar of California.
Practice Areas: Entertainment Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Libel, Slander and Defamation; Copyright.
© 2001-2021, Lavely & Singer Professional Corporation. All rights reserved.